The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air was an NBC network sitcom created by Andy & Susan Borowitz, starring actor\comedian\rapper Will Smith (in a fictionalized version of himself) and also starred James Avery, Janet Hubert-Whitten (who would later be replaced by Daphne Maxwell Reid), Alfonso Ribeiro, Karyn Parsons, Tatyana M. Ali, Ross Bagley and Joseph Marcell.
In December of 1989, NBC signed Will Smith (who was nearly bankrupt at the time) to a contract and built the sitcom around him.
The series premiered on September 10, 1990 and ended on May 20, 1996 after six seasons & 148 episodes.
The show was about Will Smith, a street-smart teenager from West Philadelphia who is sent to move in with his wealthy aunt and uncle in their Bel Air mansion after getting into a fight on a local basketball court.
In the series, Will's lifestyle often clashes with the lifestyle of his relatives in Bel Air.
- Will Smith as Will Smith
- James Avery as Philip Banks
- Janet Hubert-Whitten as Vivian Banks #1 [seasons 1 to 3]
- Daphne Maxwell Reid as Vivian Banks #2 [seasons 4 to 5]
- Alfonso Ribeiro as Carlton Banks
- Karyn Parsons as Hilary Banks
- Tatyana M. Ali as Ashley Banks
- Joseph Marcell as Geoffrey
- Ross Bagley as Nicholas "Nicky" Banks [seasons 5 to 6]
- DJ Jazzy Jeff as Jazz [seasons 1 through 4]
- Vernee Watson-Johnson as Viola "Vy" Smith
- Virginia Capers as Grandma Hattie Banks
- Nia Long as Lisa Wilkes [season 5 to 6]
- Lisa Fuller as Toni
- John Petlock as Henry Furth
- Helen Page Camp as Margaret Furth
- Jenifer Lewis as Aunt Helen
- Jonathan Emerson as Edward "Ned" Fellows III
- Michael Landes as Chadney Hunt
- Michael Weiner as Kellogg "Cornflake" Lieberbaum
- Keith Bogart as Jonathan Cartwell
- Bill Cort as Headmaster Wallace Thorvald
- Dave Florek as Coach Smiley
- John Amos as Fred Wilkes
- Tyra Banks as Jackie Ames [season 4]