Mama's Family was an NBC sitcom, starring Vicki Lawrence as the title character.
It was a spin-off of recurring comedy sketches from "The Carol Burnett Show" & "Carol Burnett & Company" called "The Family" which led to a made-for-TV movie called "Eunice".
The show first aired on NBC from January 22, 1982, but due to various timeslot changes and a drop in the ratings, NBC cancelled the series and the final episode aired on April 7, 1984, but reruns continued to be aired on the network until September of 1985.
Two years ater the show was canceled, it was revived for syndication and lasted from September 27, 1986 to February 24, 1990 for four seasons, which became the highest-rated sitcom in first-run syndication.
The show was about the misadventures of the Harper family especially those involving widow Thelma "Mama" Harper.
Thelma's snappy retorts and fretful wisecracks are particularly highlighted with a running gag in which the final scenes of each episode cut to an exterior shot of her house.
While the exterior of Thelma's house displays, she is heard riposting the comments of whoever has previously spoken which is then followed by audience laughter and applause.
- Vicki Lawrence as Thelma "Mama" Harper"
- Ken Berry as Vinton Harper
- Dorothy Lyman as Naomi Oates Harper
- Eric Brown as Vinton "Buzz" Harper, Jr. [seasons 1-2]
- Karin Argoud as Sonja Harper [seasons 1-2]
- Rue McClanahan as Aunt Fran Crowley [seasons 1-2]
- Carol Burnett as Eunice Higgins [seasons 1-2]
- Harvey Korman as Ed Higgins\Alistair Quince [seasons 1-2]
- Betty White as Ellen Harper Jackson [seasons 1-2]
- Beverly Archer as Iola Boyland [seasons 3-6]
- Allan Kayser as Bubba Higgins [seasons 3-6]