Law & Order is an American police procedural and legal drama television series, created by Dick Wolf and part of the Law & Order franchise. It originally aired on NBC and, in syndication, on various cable networks. Law & Order premiered on September 13, 1990, and completed its 20th and final season on May 24, 2010.
At the time of its cancellation, "Law & Order" was the longest-running crime drama on American primetime television.
Its record of 20 seasons is a tie with "Gunsmoke" for the longest-running live-action scripted American prime-time series with ongoing characters, although it had fewer episodes than "Gunsmoke" and both series are surpassed by the animated series The Simpsons (renewed for a 26th season in September 2014).
Set and filmed in New York City, "Law & Order" follows a two-part approach: the first half of each episode is the investigation of a crime (usually murder) and apprehension of a suspect by New York City Police Department detectives.
The second half of the episode is the prosecution of the defendant by the Manhattan District Attorney's Office.
The plots are often based on real cases that recently made headlines, although the motivation for the crime and the perpetrator may be different.
Main (First Batch) Edit
Senior Detective Edit
- George Dzundza as Max Greevey (season 1)
- Paul Sorvino as Phil Cerreta (season 2-3.9, guest season 3.10)
- Jerry Orbach as Lennie Briscoe (season 3.10-14)
- Dennis Farina as Joe Fontana (season 15-16)
- Jesse L. Martin as Ed Green (season 17-18.14)
- Jeremy Sisto as Cyrus Lipo (season 18.15-20)
Junior Detective Edit
- Chris Noth as Mike Logan (season 1-5)
- Benjamin Bratt as Reynaldo "Rey" Curtis (season 6-9, guest season 20)
- Jesse L. Martin as Ed Green (season 9-15.20, 16)
- Michael Imperioli as Nick Falco (season 15.21-15.24, guest season 16)
- Milena Govich as Nina Cassidy (season 17)
- Jeremy Sisto as Cyrus Lipo (18.1-18.14)
- Anthony Anderson as Kevin Bernard (season 18.15-20)
- Dann Florek as Donald "Don" Cragen (season 1-3, guest season 5, 10 and 15)
- S. Epatha Merkerson as Anita Van Buren (season 3-20)
Main (Second Batch) Edit
Executive ADA Edit
- Michael Moriarty as Benjamin "Ben" Stone (season 1-4)
- Sam Waterston as John James "Jack" McCoy (season 5-17)
- Linus Roache as Michael "Mike" Cutter (season 18-20)
Assistant ADA Edit
- Richard Brooks as Paul Robinette (season 1-3)
- Jill Hennessy as Claire Kincaid (season 4-6)
- Carey Lowell as Jamie Ross (season 7-8, guest season 9 and 10)
- Angie Harmon as Abbie Carmichael (season 9-11)
- Elisabeth Röhm as Serena Southerlyn (season 12-15.13)
- Annie Parisse as Alexandra Borgia (season 15.14-16)
- Alana De La Garza as Connie Rubirosa (season 17-20)
District Attorney Edit
- Steven Hill as Adam Schiff (season 1-10)
- Dianne Wiest as Nora Lewin (season 11-12)
- Fred Thompson as Arthur Branch (season 13-17)
- Sam Waterston as John James "Jack" McCoy (season 18-20)
Extended cast Edit
- Carolyn McCormick as Dr. Elizabeth "Liz" Olivet
- Leslie Hendrix as Dr. Elizabeth Rodgers
Episode number Edit
- Law & Order on Fandom